St. Louis Preservation: What We Do Here
Since the National Personnel Records Center is a federal agency, the public doesn’t usually get to visit our work areas. That changed this fall when we celebrated the grand opening of our new building in St. Louis with tours for select groups, such as genealogists, archivists, and employees’ family members.
In the Paper Wet Lab, we demonstrated how we clean documents …
mend documents …
… and how we deacidify documents.
During tours we only worked on documents that contained no Personally Identifiable Information, or were archival and therefore in the public domain.
In the Reformatting Lab, we showed that scanning documents produces images that are much clearer than photocopies …
… and can be searched rapidly on a viewer.
Afterwards, many guests told us how interesting our work was.
And we agreed.
16 Notes/ Hide
- usnatarchives likes this
- usnatarchives reblogged this from preservearchives
- maytinee likes this
- i-sing-the-body-eclectic reblogged this from preservearchives
- i-sing-the-body-eclectic likes this
- historicity-was-already-taken likes this
- clevercrafter likes this
- foreverandever likes this
- ambarkanta likes this
- lion-blood likes this
- todaysdocument likes this
- profchach likes this
- wilwarien likes this
- lenofi likes this
- preservearchives posted this